Railroads were very important to the history of Excelsior Springs. The Milwaukee Station display contains a replica of the Milwaukee Railroad and Station. The line was built in 1887 from Chicago to Kansas City. Later a line was added to the Pacific Railroad and the Rock Island line. The ladies' rest room was an addition in 1914. The station was a gathering place for local people when the train arrived. As many as twenty horse-drawn buggies and eighty horses have gathered around the depot. The railroad company allowed the caretakers to paint the building white. Trains ran between Excelsior Springs and Kansas City on the following schedules:
The railroad remained in service until the late 1960's. Regulations required it had to be moved from the site; therefore, it was demolished in 1972 because the city could not find a buyer. The large wooden sign reading "Excelsior Springs" (located in the office area) was donated by the man who demolished the old depot.
The two bells in the display case were used when the dispatcher wished to talk to the operator at the station. A dispatcher at Ottumwa, Iowa, controlled the trains coming from the north through Excelsior Springs to Kansas City. The Excelsior Springs' dispatcher controlled the incoming trains from Mosby to Lawson. The telephone on the extension with the head phones was used so the dispatcher's hands were free to operate the signal or switch board. The picture of Don Nance as an operator was taken about 1950.
Beside the bell is the ticket dispenser. In the small jar are railroad nails. They were used to build the rail on which the train ran.
The Wabash was a privately-owned one car train. The Wabash was an eleven mile railroad train. It was owned by Liv Morris. It is said that when Mr. Morris attended railroad conventions and he was asked how long his railroad line was he would reply that it was eleven miles; however, it was just as wide as any other line. The Wabash currently is the Wabash Barbeque Restaurant.