Now we return to the front door of the museum. Here are two cornerstones taken from the white pavilions that had been erected on the site of the first, mineral springs discovered here, the Siloam. These were removed when the last pavilion was torn down to make way for the Hall of Waters. A Negro girl was healed of scrofulla by the mud found in the area.
In 1880, A. W. Wyman owned practically all of the land which now comprises the downtown area. The area had huge wheat fields. Rev. J. V. B. Flack sent samples to St. Louis to have it treated and it proved to be the strongest iron water in the world. Later Regent Spring was found to be even stronger. Rev. Flack, for whom the Christian Union Church is named, and Mr. Wyman, for whom the Wyman School was named, laid out and platted the first town. It was named Viginti, Missouri. They sold lots very cheaply to encourage settling and soon a tent city sprung up. The tent city was followed by more permanent structures. Rev. Flack had a dry goods store nearby. A hotel was erected to house visitors and other businesses followed. Several amusement places were also opened.
Next, we have the old mill stone which was presented by Mrs. Leone Ford Ross. This stone was from Seybold Mill. It stood on the old stage coach road, now know as Seybold Road. It is located at the south city limits. Unlike most mills of its time it was powered by mule or oxen, instead of water. The Seybolds also operated a tavern for the convenience of travelers. Jenny Lind, (the famous Swedish Nightingale, once gave a concert for the local citizens from the porch of the tavern, when she stopped there overnight. Some of the Mormons stopped there when they were routed from Liberty. Some died there from disease contracted at an earlier date. They were buried near the old tavern, but not in the Seybold family cemetery.
Souvenirs of past Excelsior are featured in the three large display cases. The Scott's Emulsion calendar dates back as early as 1894. Another artifact is the Bates and Wilcop calendar of 1908. D&S Produce and Grocery printed a weekly reminder, another featured display. Souvenirs also include a pitcher with painting of the area, a Battle Creek Baths' thermometer, and recently accessioned plates and bowls of Siloam Springs and Regent Springs.
Soterian Ginger Ale is exhibited. The ginger ale brought home gold medals in 1893 when it was sent to the World's Columbia Exposition held in Chicago.